Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Seattle Seahawks

Okay, a little about me. I'm a big pro football fan. Okay, a really big pro football fan. In particular I'm a Seattle Seahawks fan. Have been since their inception in 1976. I have watched the Seahawks from the days of Jim Zorn, Steve Largent, Dave Brown and Sherman Smith when they played in the not so dearly departed Kingdome. Being a Seahawks fan is quite frankly a lot like being Charlie Brown. You know, kind of miserable, and just when you think it's finally not going to be miserable, Lucy (lately the role played by the St. Louis Rams), move the football just when you're about to make that kick.

Anyway, I'm a big fan, (see above), the kind of fan who can't just sit and watch the football game. I have to pace, I have to walk around, I sit for a moment, I get up, and then start all over again. It's a pretty good work out. So far I haven't reached the point where I throw things at the tv screen, or swear at the players, or scream that the coach should be fired. I'm more analytical than that. I like watching football like most people play chess. I like to try and predict what the next play will be. I like trying to figure out whether the team is playing man, or zone coverage, which way they're going to rotate the defensive backs, or not rotate them at all, what type of defense they have in, the nickel, dime etc. Thus I watch football for the strategy, for the clever plays, and the intelligence of the game.

Yes, football is an intelligent game. Far more intelligent than baseball, don't even let me hear you mention the NBA and intelligence in the same sentence(although certain individual players are brilliant), and the NHL?, let's be serious (sorry Twig). In my opinion football is the perfect marriage of intelligence and strength ever conceived. It's why I love the game with a passion.

But why am I discussing football now? Well on Sunday, the Seahawks finally beat the St. Louis Rams in St. Louis. Unfortunately, being out in Boston I can't exactly tell you how they did it (no local tv), but they won in a barn burner, 37 to 31. The stars? Well the usual Seahawks stars, Matt Hasselback and Shaun Alexander did exceedingly well. However there was a surprise, Joe Jurevicious in a career day stepped up and caught 9 passes for 132 yards and a touchdown. It was critical because the Seahawks two leading receivers, Darrell Jackson and Bobby Engram, were both injured and did not play.

I was doubly frustrated because I couldn't get cell phone reception while we walking around Concord (the shot heard round the world). So for a moment, I get a bit of an update on the web, but it the connection would last only a moment and disappear. But in the end they won, and I could stop pacing all over the Old North Bridge.

Almost all is right in the world.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?